Disappearing runway/airport

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
lnuss

Post by lnuss »

It's odd, but sometimes (certain viewing angles) the runways are disappearing. When they do, pretty much the whole airport disappears, also. This occurs on both default airports (such as KBJC) and on airports I've built with ADE (set up for P3D). Otherwise, the sim runs better, in most respects, than FSX does.

To elaborate on the symptoms, (virtual cockpit or spot, either locked or not), raising or lowering my viewing angle will sometimes make the airport/runway disappear, replaced by (at KBJC) desert terrain, much like that surrounding the field. Exactly the same thing happens if you pan around horizontally -- some portions of the circle have the airport (and aircraft and everything else with it) visible, and some portions make it disappear. This happens day or night, dawn or dusk, and the viewing angles don't seem to be the same at different airports, though it is repeatable at each airport. The aircraft I mention above are static aircraft in add-on scenery, as I've seen at least a couple of AI traffic aircraft remain visible when all else is gone.

I've not seen a search engine for this forum (perhaps I'm overlooking something), and the threads I've looked through don't seem to address this.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Larry,

Which P3D version?

How many monitors?

Anything special about your PC or sim setup?

Has this been going on for a long time?

And can be repeated on each flight with a default airport and a default aircraft loaded?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
lnuss

Post by lnuss »

Oops sorry, Vaughan. It's V2.4.11570, which I just installed a couple of days ago.
I have one HP 24" monitor, and one 22" Vizio HDTV (connected via HDMI), on a 4 year old Digital Storm machine:

Intel I7 960 with an nVidia GTX 570 card.

This problem started the first time I was at KBJC, and is very repeatable with the F-35 or the A-36 Bonanza (and others, too).
It also happens at Longmont (2V2) and a couple of others. I've not yet seen it happen at ORBX airports in PNW or PFJ.
It still happens even after rebooting my machine, and after repeated restarts of the sim. It also seems to be independent of
clouds, HDR lighting or frame rate.

The problem doesn't seem to occur at I32 (Morehead-Rowan County, KY) nor at KLEX (Bluegrass Field, Lexington). It also isn't
happening at KABQ or KAEG in the Albuquerque area, nor at KFNL in northern Colorado. If it matters (and it may), I also have UTX V2 installed.

Now that I've checked several other airports, the problem seems to occur only in the Denver area. So, I disabled a couple of add-on airports
(Boulder and Tri-County) and the problem went away. So, after reenabling Boulder the problem is with my TriCounty scenery (I built it, so it's
not on the web).

Thanks for triggering some thoughts that helped me isolate the problem -- glad it's not actually a P3D problem.

Larry N.